Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Worshiper In Times of Trouble

But there’s a reality to life that we cannot avoid: We live in a broken world. (I shared here about the week I had leading up to this message, one which required that I truly apply this teaching to my own life!) There are times when we feel that we are being overwhelmed by circumstances. There are times when we feel that God is distant or maybe that He has even abandoned us. There are seasons of despair and defeat, of brokenness and hopelessness. And sometimes people say things like, “I just can’t worship God right now; I am suffering too much.” But these are the very times when we need worship the most. When you are feeling as though you may be overcome by circumstances, you need to reflect on the One who will never be overcome. And when you feel that grief and sorrow are crushing your heart, you need to be refreshed and renewed by the One who loves and cares for you, who will never leave you nor forsake you. Allow the dryness of your soul to be refreshed and revived with springs of living water from the one who knows suffering better than anyone else, your Creator and your Redeemer. The One who keeps watch over you both day and night.


Psalm 42:1-5
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, "Where is your God?" These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng. Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

Psalm 46:1-7
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells. God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day. Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts. The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah

Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip-- he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD watches over you-- the LORD is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all harm-- he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

2 comments:

  1. A broken and contrite heart the Lord will not despise. It's painful to be in that place but oh so freeing as we move through it and are refined by God's love and truth. My Redeemer lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen & amen! Sometimes your troubles are the results of our own rebellion. The pain we dread and try to avoid or remove is part of the very process by which He brings us back to Him.

    ReplyDelete

I trust that the comments you wish to share are intended for building up the Body of Christ. Thanks for participating. Steve