Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Another Year... Reflection

So, it's my birthday again. I don't share that so folks will buy me something, so please don't. The reason I mention it at all is because of what it means for me, namely an occasion for reflection on my life. Where am I? Where have I been? Where am I going? And if this next year is the end of this earthly story, will I feel that it was well-lived?

Does that sound morbid? Well, maybe a little, but this isn't the ranting of a depressed or discouraged person. It's just an attempt to bring a little reality to my life, to understand and appreciate that I'm mortal. Too often I minister to people who are shocked because someone they know and love has died. Why are they shocked? Mostly because they have been living as though they either won't die or at least will have a solid 80 years.

So, every birthday I try to assess my life. Mostly, I ask if I am fully committed to serving the Lord with every breath I take. And before you think that I am, I'll remind you that perfectionism like mine always sees where there's room for more. And I assess where I am. Am I where God wants me? If so, what is He asking me to do there? I have made my birthday that time to set aside all that I'm doing for Him and just listen for His direction and even His correction.

Do you ever disengage long enough for an honest assessment? Do you invite those closest to you to speak their observations about you into your life? Are you a child of the Most-High God? Then don't be afraid to listen to His assessment also. And, if you hear that you are a failure and a disappointment, you know you're listening to a spirit other than the Holy Spirit.

So, how are you doing? I have room to grow. Want to travel this road together? I value the company...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I trust that the comments you wish to share are intended for building up the Body of Christ. Thanks for participating. Steve