Monday, January 24, 2011

The Least of These

On Sunday, we joined churches across our country in recognizing the Sanctity of Human Life. Andy Spade, one of our Elders here at Grace, encouraged us to take time this week and reflect on Matthew 25:31-46. In that passage concerning judgment at the Second Coming of Christ, Jesus indicates that those who are truly His have a heart like His. And how was Jesus’ heart? In vv. 40 & 45 He says,
I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me (40)… I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me (45).
Within the immediate context, Jesus is probably talking about care for Christian brothers who are “less notable,” but Paul tells us that our care and concern should be for everyone, not just our own. He wrote to the Galatian believers,
Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. Galatians 6:10
This last Christmas season, many people in our church family had an opportunity to do that in a very real way. And by nature of my position, I was blessed to be along for the ride, so to speak. I want to tell you about the outreach what we did to Point Pleasant.

Point Pleasant is a home in Lancaster for medically-fragile children ranging in age from infant to 21 years. The facility’s goal is to enable children with special needs to realize their fullest potential in a caring, supportive home under the care of nurses, social workers, therapists, and physicians. I found out about Point Pleasant when Julie, part of our church family, told me of her passion for and compassion toward these kids. What God had placed on her heart, she was unwilling to pursue alone. She wanted to invite others from our church family to minister to these kids.

I want to tell you briefly about what I saw when the presents donated by our church family were delivered. For the most part, I will not tell you the names of these kids. I would like to protect their privacy. However, we did get a few pictures from the facility which I have permission to publish here.

First, I want to say that the staff at Point Pleasant have amazing hearts! The circumstances in which they work/serve daily are challenging. One worker shared that she usually has to start her day by finding a quiet place, often in the bathroom, and having a good hard cry for the kids and families served by Point Pleasant. But she said that it’s sort of like a psalm of lament for her. She needs to connect to the pain of a broken creation before she can give it fully to the Lord and just serve.

I’m not sure what I expected from the kids. Nothing could have prepared me for the scenes I observed. For those foolish enough to believe that these kids are unaware of their circumstances, I invite you to experience what I did that evening. For the most part, our volunteers had to open gifts and then show the kids what they got. And how they oo’ed and ah’ed over each gift as they held them where the kids could see. Some kids began kicking their legs in joy. Some squirmed right out of their shoes. Others squealed with delight. They could clearly feel the love of attention from their guests; they even liked some of the gifts! :o)

Let me tell you about two boys who rocked our souls. The first was a cute little boy who is about 4. He’s a sweetheart and was clearly Julie’s favorite. He was in the first room we visited, a common space for medical attention. But then we went to his room and found that he shared that space with his 13-year-old brother. One from our group, upon realizing the relationship, was devastated. How could God allow this to happen to two children in one household? She looked at me and just muttered, hoping to get an explanation that made sense. But, what explanation can there be to make us feel OK with that reality? Even one child born with such tremendous medical needs is unbearable. But two in one household? Our worker’s grief as she empathetically entered into the suffering of that family is a beautiful picture forever etched in my memory. I think she felt the pain the Lord felt as He gazed upon His friend’s tomb.

One more story to tell you about… And here is a place where I will break from my commitment to protect identities. At the end of our brief visit to Point Pleasant, we realized there was one undelivered bag of goodies. The tag on the bag simply said “Angel.” And no doubt, that is exactly what this little boy was to his parents, their darling little angel from the Lord. The reason the bag was still sitting on the floor is that the Lord had called this little one out of his painful existence. My notes say that Angel was with us only a brief 5 years.

Some are wondering how you could minister in these circumstances. Others are wondering why we have suffering like this at all. And theologians wrestle with making sense of all of this while atheists use these conditions as proof that there is no “good God.” But, in the midst of awful circumstances, I saw the faith and hope of God’s people as they reached out to minister to the “least of these.” Rather than ask “Why?” (though they probably each wondered it quietly), they heard the Lord call them to be like Him and reach into suffering with love and grace.

Do you want information on how you can serve regularly at Point Pleasant or other places where “the least” congregate? Let’s talk…

No comments:

Post a Comment

I trust that the comments you wish to share are intended for building up the Body of Christ. Thanks for participating. Steve