Sunday, July 5, 2009

Man Creates His "Ideal" Group Experience

A lot of what I’ve done over the past 9 months is to talk with people at Grace Church about group life and our vision for the CONNECT Ministry. Many think that groups are simply about feeling connected to Grace Church. Certainly, that is part of our desire, helping the hundreds of people who have come to Grace in the last few years become well-integrated into our church family. Of course, being a “Church of Small Groups” means so much more than that, and I will blog more fully on that in the weeks to come.

I want to talk a little about the reactions I have received, one in particular. Most people at Grace had never experienced anything like what we are currently creating in the CONNECT Ministry. And with anything new, there’s a degree of fear. Perhaps that’s too strong a word… let’s say “uncertainty.” “Who will be in my group?” “What if I don’t like them?” “Will they expect me to share the deepest hidden things in my life, the things that even make me hate myself?” “What if I’m not accepted?” The comment I get is usually, “I’m looking for a group of people who are (like me).” The “like me” is defined in a lot of different ways. Maybe it’s young couples with preschool kids. Maybe it’s 20-something singles. Maybe it’s 50-something empty nester professionals in Manheim Township who like golf and hunting and their wives make the best venison sausage you’ve ever imagined! You get the point. They want to minimize diversity in the hope that they’ll fit in. This isn’t wrong, and it is understandable.

However, it’s not God’s design for His church. Our community is intended to be profoundly diverse. God intends the world to look at our community and say, “What’s up over there? Those people shouldn’t even be talking to one another and look at the love and commitment they have among them!” It’s something that everyone desires deep in their heart, community where they can be accepted, even celebrated for who they really are, who God created them to be. No more masks. No more pretending. No more rejection. Frankly, when we think that real community can only happen when everyone is “just like me,” it demonstrates that we don’t fully appreciate that authentic Christian community is not something that we create; it is a work of God Himself.

There’s nothing wrong with getting into a group that looks a lot like you. It’s a great place to start if you’re unsure about group life and want to “test the water.” My hope is that you wouldn’t settle there for years. God’s people are not like the yacht club. They are like the Coast Guard. There are ships being tossed about mercilessly on tumultuous seas and the Coast Guard is on a rescue mission. Age, skin color, life stage, social status, language, even citizenship aren’t taken into consideration. They are people worth saving. The incredible thing about God’s people is that no one is the “right” demographic. We’ve all been adopted into this family by a gracious Father.

Take a look at this video of a man who created his “ideal” group experience. Perhaps not perfect, but perfectly safe. Enjoy...

3 comments:

  1. I love the video, Pastor Steve. I hope you did not have names attached to the characters! Seriously, it truly does help one consider why we truly need small groups. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great vidieo, Thanks for posting it.I believe that being involved in a small Group is as Important as attending Sunday morning service.We love them both and have grown in our walk because of both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Derek, both are certainly very important. There is a time for sound biblical teaching and then there is the living out of what we have learned, putting feet to our faith and truly owning God's truth.
    Teresa, I think I'm probably the "man hug" guy. I won't go any further than that. :o)

    ReplyDelete

I trust that the comments you wish to share are intended for building up the Body of Christ. Thanks for participating. Steve