Sunday, March 25, 2012

Wrong Prescription

What sort of lenses are you wearing? You know. We put on sunglasses with dark lenses because we are sensitive to bright light or to people peering into our eyes. Or we put on prescription lenses because we have imperfect eyesight and we wish to see more clearly. If you wear glasses, most are light enough these days that you don't even realize they are there.

Years ago, when I got my first pair of corrective lenses, I thought it would be cool to get prescription sunglasses. My hope was to be able to see clearly while enjoying my active outdoors lifestyle. The lenses I got had a purple tint to them. They were great for seeing in bright light conditions, especially on the ski slopes. After a short time, I didn't even realize that I was seeing the world in shades of purple. It looked normal to me. Fast-forward 10 years and I was told that the purple tint of my glasses was highly addictive and had created extreme photosensitivity in my eyes. My body, in order to protect itself, was developing a protective coating on my eyes which would eventually blind me. And all of this was happening without my knowledge, just because I had put on a pair of sunglasses, a very wrong pair.

So, what lenses are you wearing? I'm not necessarily talking about your physical eyes right now. I'd like to focus your attention on the eyes of your heart. We all have lenses through which we perceive the world. Our lenses are the result of our life's journey, what we've been taught, what we've seen modeled, or what we've experienced, both painful and wonderful. Our lenses are so much a part of us that we don't even know they exist. But we all have them and they alter reality to create our perception of what really is.

This is a conversation that I have had in the church for years and am just starting to have at the Vo-Tech where I'm teaching. You see, we slide into a mode where we deal with people and situations from our prejudices, conclusions that we have drawn before investigating the facts. It leads teachers and administrators to deal with teens using a template intended for all. It discounts the circumstances that have preceded today and dehumanizes the person. Schools generally run from ministering to the whole person, falling back on "teaching" content and referring problem cases for discipline and correction. Amazing teachers are the ones who enter the mess of the person to find out who they really are and why they are struggling so they can truly educate the whole person.

Today in church I was reminded of a video that I had intended to post months ago but I had lost the thought (my ADD got the better of me). But this video (below) out of Fellowship Church addresses the issue of how we see the world around us. Watch it and then let's have an honest discussion about how inconvenient it is to truly see people. Let's talk about our calling as Followers of the Inconvenienced God. And let's pray for one another that the Living Spirit of God would give us, not only eyes to see but, a heart like His, one which compels us in the name of Christ, Love, and all which is holy and sacred to enter the mess of the world with the full power of the Gospel of Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I trust that the comments you wish to share are intended for building up the Body of Christ. Thanks for participating. Steve