Friday, February 3, 2012

Corrupted and Clueless

So, what’s the biggest problem in Christ’s church today? Well, let’s talk specifically about the church in America (frankly, because the Chinese church is a beautiful example of faithfulness right now). We, on the other hand, suffer from heart disease.

Our problem is that we have fallen into a trap that is as old as the story. The problem with the people of God has always been our desire to follow after the gods of the world (read: “culture”). Let’s take a look at what Christ would probably say to the church in America:
"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm-- neither hot nor cold-- I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." Revelation 3:14-22
Let’s take a little time/space to break this down. Laodicea was a jewel in the Roman Empire. It was a wealthy hub of commerce in Asia Minor, known for banking and wealth, medicine (especially an eye salve), and clothing (particularly a glossy black wool that was valued by the very rich). But this jewel had a flaw, namely that it had no water and had to import this crucial commodity. Its neighbors, Colossae and Hierapolis were regionally renowned for their cool and hot waters, respectively. The cool pure waters of Colossae were a refreshing and life-giving substance, while the hot springs of Hierapolis were used medicinally to cure almost any ailment. But then there was Laodicea which used a Roman aqueduct to bring mineral-laden hot spring water to a thirsty city. By the time it arrived, it still had its sulfury stench and had only cooled enough to be tepid. There was nothing pleasant about the water of Laodicea which generally made you want to wretch.

This was their cultural setting, and unfortunately the church was being corrupted by its context. Jesus’ words are not for the godless, but for the ones who claim to be His children. And He introduces Himself as “the Amen” (a reference to absolute truth), “the faithful and true witness” (the very thing that His children are called to be in the culture), and “the ruler of God’s creation” (just in case they thought obedience was optional). According to Him, they have no refreshing, life-giving value, not for Christ, but for the community. Neither do they offer restorative, healing benefits. They are foul and repugnant, like the water. Furthermore, they have clothed themselves in the ways of wealth and opulence rather than in the white garments of righteousness. And while they claim to “see” by the help of cultural innovation, they are really blind. To what are they blind? To the fact that Jesus is not in their midst! He says, “You are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked” and “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.”

Now, take a look at the church in America; take a look at your own church. Does it reflect the culture of America more than it does the Kingdom of God? Maybe you don’t even know the difference, you’re that blind. Laodicea means “people’s rights”; it was their culture and it’s the American way. Ask yourself if you are serving the Lord and His Kingdom or if you (individually and collectively) are serving yourselves.

First and foremost, is your congregation a faithful and true witness in the community? Are you known for your cool refreshing waters or your medicinal springs? Or, has the god of this age set up his throne in your hearts? Has Christ left and you don’t even realize it?

Let’s make it very simple. What is your church like thru the week? If you’re thinking about a building, Jesus is knocking. If all of your activities are on Sunday (and Wednesday), Jesus is knocking. If you’re more concerned with the Sunday schedule or type of music than if lives are being transformed, Jesus is knocking. If your small group or Sunday school class never gets shoulder-to-shoulder with non-Christians, Jesus is knocking.

And maybe you’ll think this is good news, but He won’t knock forever. Repent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I trust that the comments you wish to share are intended for building up the Body of Christ. Thanks for participating. Steve