Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Leadership 101

How many people tuned out the moment they saw the title for this post? I have found that, when the topic of leadership comes up, there are two types of people. There are those who lunge at the opportunity and those who shy away. So, we all know who the leaders are. It’s that easy, right?

But whose definition of leadership are we using? Pastor Doug has me revisiting a book I read years ago, Spiritual Leadership by J. Oswald Sanders. As the weeks progress, I will occasionally reference this book in posts about leadership. If any of the thoughts from this book intrigue you, I recommend you consider picking up a copy to read. Sanders would say that there are two types of leaders, natural and spiritual. The differences are conspicuous. The natural leader trusts in his abilities, while the spiritual leader puts his trust in the Lord. The natural leader relishes in power and control, while the spiritual leader delights in faithfulness to the Lord. And the natural leader creates methods, while the spiritual leader looks to the model given by the Lord. Do you see a pattern developing here?

The world says that leadership is all about power. It’s about coercing or manipulating others into doing what you want. It’s the leadership methods of Attila the Hun or Machiavelli. It’s about using every resource available to you without restraint to advance yourself and your will. There’s no room for others except as they profit you. Do you know anyone like this? I used to be one. Sadly, some days, I still am.

But the biblical model of leadership is one of influence. Do you know the difference between manipulation and influence? It’s your focus. If you’re focusing on changing the behavior of the other person, you’re manipulating. But if you are seeking to model Christ-like devotion and servitude and find that it’s attracting other to do likewise, that’s influence. It’s not so much telling as it is showing. Christ could have visited to tell us how to live. Rather, He chose to enter His creation and demonstrate a faithful life. And in a mere three years, He was finished and He left, giving us all we need to follow in His ways. And His disciples transformed their world.
In one sense, everyone is a leader. If you consider long enough, you’ll find someone with whom you are influential, someone who is watching you and learning, good or bad. And Paul wrote, “To aspire to leadership is an honorable ambition” (1 Timothy 3:1). But what of those eager for leadership? Peter wrote:

…All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. (1 Peter 5:5-7)

So, after pondering this, how will your interactions in group, at work, at school, in your family be different, Christian? Will others look at you and see Christ or a self-serving horror?

3 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head, Pastor Steve. A good leader must daily begin with his face to the ground, humbly submitting himself/herself to the Lord. HE will lead the leader to lead well! Great post! Doug K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even in our connect group last nite, this thought came to me regarding the necessity for all believers to model the Phil 2 example of Jesus--- to become servants to all we come in contact with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the paragraph "The world says that leadership is all about power" I tend to ride the fence. In a management position myself, I try my best to be a biblical example of leadership which is a daily challenge. As the day progresses and more things happen that get me off course I find myself "delegating" work to get everything accomplished. I feel that delegating is a key part of leadership and not pocessing that skill can be detrimental to anyone in a leadership position. Many people confuse deligation with coercion or manipulation and think that the person leading is just trying to fulfill his or her own agenda. There are many times that I ask someone to do something that I need them to do not for my own advancement or my own will but because it simply needs to be accomplished. How you go about this in my opinion is what counts, which you dive into in the next paragraph.

    My point was not to appose your blog, because I really enjoyed it! in fact, it convinced me to comment. Having focus, as you mentioned, is the only thing that keeps me going at times. Not focus on work, but focus on God. I struggle each day with questions about my faith, but faith itself is what keeps me focused. I really enjoy reading the Transforming Grace updates and it is a daily encouragement for someone like myself who may need that boost to make it through the day. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I trust that the comments you wish to share are intended for building up the Body of Christ. Thanks for participating. Steve